Since the Guide to Malaga blog post on new hotels in Malaga in November last year there have been several developments on the accommodation scene in the city – one new hotel has opened and another is just a few months away from the grand opening. Read on for the very latest on new hotels in Malaga.
The new Room Mate Hotel in Malaga
Room Mate Valeria that opened just after Easter this year joins 2 other Room Mate hotels in Malaga – Room Mate Lola in the Soho district and Room Mate Larios at the top of Calle Larios. This latest addition is on the Plaza Poeta Alfonso Canales, also in Soho and adjacent to Plaza de la Marina. The refurbishment of the 3 hotel buildings (from the 18th and 19th centuries) and the transformation of the small square and park in front of it have totally changed this corner of Malaga.
Decorated throughout in bold floral and botanical motifs, in jade and royal blue, the hotel design is both striking and unusual.
The hotel boasts a roof terrace with lovely views of Malaga port, the pergola and ferris wheel, a small but well-equipped basement gym and a rooftop plunge pool. Eating options at the hotel will be expanded this autumn when the restaurant opens – there’s nothing official yet, but the hotel manager informed Guide to Malaga that a well-known chef would be running it. Watch this space.
Why stay here?
- Striking room decor and lovely bathrooms – the front-facing ones have the best views but the standard rooms look on a nice interior patio.
- Friendly staff – they’re multi-lingual too so no language barriers.
- Rooftop terrace – the plunge pool and loungers are perfect for taking time-out from city sightseeing and the terrace bar serves sundowner cocktails.
- Location – this is quiet spot in the city centre Malaga with easy car access.
- Potable modem – known as the Wi-Mate, it provides wifi connections for up to 10 devices. Perfect for staying connected while you’re on holiday in Malaga.
Hotel vital statistics
3 Junior Suites (for up to 3 people), 29 standard rooms with views, 23 standard rooms
From €110 for a standard double (no view), from €200 for a Junior Suite. Better prices are often available online (but be aware that conditions are more restrictive than if you book direct).
Get the latest on new hotels in Malaga via our free fortnightly newsletter.
The new Gran Hotel Miramar in Malaga
The sheer scale of restoration work at the Miramar Hotel means that the next addition to new hotels in Malaga won’t be opening to the public until December this year. However, judging by the work so far the wait will definitely be worth it.
The Gran Hotel Miramar will be the only 5-star grand luxe hotel in Malaga city and expects to become a benchmark for luxury experiences in the city. The hotel recently became 1 of The Leading Hotels of the World, joining 2 top hotels in Marbella (Marbella Club Hotel and Puente Romano) and just 375 other hotels worldwide.
Why stay here?
- Historic ambience – the Gran Hotel Miramar building has been restored to its former glory, showcasing its fine Strachan architecture.
- Luxury experience – the details in the design and customer service promise to make this a top luxury venue in Malaga.
- Location – just moments from La Malagueta beach and Muelle Uno plus top things to see in Malaga such as the Alcazaba Fortress and Pompidou Centre.
- Tropical gardens – the hotel grounds are also being restored and their 9,000 square metres house fine trees (some of them were planted when the hotel was first built in 1926) and tropical plants.
- Seaviews – many of the rooms (and all the suites) plus the large garden terrace have commanding seaviews.
Hotel vital statistics
29 Suites . 24 Imperial and 4 Royal, 200 standard rooms
No official prices are available yet, but this will definitely be in the splurge category!
This video gives you a good idea of what awaits guests once the hotel opens.
Keep your finger on the Malaga buzzer – sign up for our free fortnightly newsletter. All you need to know about what’s on and what’s new in the city in your inbox every other Friday.
Photo credits: images of junior suite at Room Mate Valeria by Room Mate; photo of Gran Hotel Miramar and video from https://www.h-santos.es/hoteles/hotel-malaga-miramar/.